The Big Question: what is being done to fill empty Clapham High Street shops?

Discussion in 'Clapham news, issues and general chat' started by Jack, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Jack

Jack Administrator Staff Member

Clapham is by far one of the most popular and affluent areas in London, with houses flying off estate agent shelves for astronomical prices, investment on the up and retailers flying into pockets like Northcote Road.

Yet, on Clapham High Street there are many shops that are completely empty with few big brands or new local shops opening up. I can count about FIVE empty spaces:
    1. Zeitgeist on the Pavement - a stunning building overlooking the most popular area of Clapham Common in the summer
    2. Another retail space on the Pavement - next to Zeitgeist and Moens butcher
    3. One of the Arches by Clapham High Street station (just calling out for a Starbucks or other coffee shop!)
    4. Belgo on Clapham High Street - right in the centre of the main high street! It's been empty for months
    5. A new space by Waitrose - being developed now
    6. The Whitehouse - near Clapham High Street
    Plus others around the area.

What's going on?
    Why aren't shops clamouring over each other to get a space on this valuable street?
    What are people doing to get the attention of good local or national brands?
  2. Alex

Alex New Member

Hopefully it will eventually be worth the wait!
  3. Jack

Hey Alex, I hope so. The Clapham Junction area has seen loads of decent businesses move in but the other side of the common feels a bit slower to improve. I really want the high street to have an injection of exciting shops because it's such great real estate.
  4. Alex

Alex New Member

What baffles me the most is ex-Zeigeit, it's been up to let for months now...the "shop" next to it is just a shell I think and there is this delirict space behind the white wooden board, and I think this is being redeveloped now too...would be interesting if anyone knew what the new space between waitrose and optical express is going to be...
  5. Alex

Alex New Member

Seems like there is an answer for what is going to be next to Starbucks, opposite the tube station: Byron, the burger house!
  6. Clapham Trooper

Clapham Trooper New Member

I don't understand why people aren't snapping up these shops either, Clapham is heaving! And everyone is totally loaded. Crazy. If I were in the right position to, I would want to open a lovely shop in Zeitgeist.

Anyway, great to see a decent brand like Byron moving into the area. We need a good mix of high quality brands people recognise and local businesses.
  7. Steve Porter

Steve Porter New Member

One thing I don't understand is why big clothing retailers are failing to see an opportunity. However on the flip side, this is a great opportunity for a local upstart to get a great location to kick start a business (assuming they can afford the inevitable astronomical rental costs). Still, if the common and high street had more clothing retailers from well known brands it would only boost the wealth of the area and drive popularity. But that's what we need isn't it, a more heavily congested Northern line :p
  8. Jack

Steve, that's what I don't get - there's such a massive opportunity for clothes shops like Diesel, G Star, Allsaints, Firetrap, even Topshop. Anything half decent that sold good clothes for going out on a weekend would make an absolute killing!
  9. David Ellis

David Ellis New Member

I have also wondered why some shops sit empty for so long in popular locations. Zeitgeist springs to mind as I pass it most days and it is so central.

Surely it must be down to money - supply and demand - owners are demanding high rents because they think it is such a great and valuable location, and businesses are so far not willing to pay what they're asking.
  10. Jack

Yes, I also think Clapham hasn't quite got the 'retail centre destination' feel to it yet, despite the amount of money and people in the area. So the larger clothes retailers etc haven't really focused on it. Perhaps the Clapham Old Town refurb will help address this, and then spread down the high street. Byron next to Waitrose will certainly cause a shift. I just hope Zeitgeist gets something supercool as it's one of my favourite buildings. I'd be horrified if it becomes a Greggs or Whsmith style shop.
  11. Liz

Liz New Member

Does anyone have any idea what’s happening to the small empty shop on the high street in between Roosters Spot and McDonald’s? It seems to have been empty for a while which is a shame.

Pleased to see Byron burger and Red Dog Saloon opening up in some of the empty local shops recently. Although the rumoured Chicago Rib Shack in Belgo’s old spot seems to be taking a while to materialise…! Does anyone know if this is still happening??
  12. The Biscuiteers

The Biscuiteers New Member

Hi Everyone,

We are delighted to announce the opening of our second Biscuit Boutique and Icing Café, at 13 Northcote Road (previously a Paul) at the end of this month.

In case you don't know us, we first launched at www.biscuiteers.com in 2007, and have been making beautiful, hand iced biscuits, cakes and chocolates for 7 happy years. Following our book 'The Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits' published in 2009, we had so many requests from people wanting to learn to ice biscuits in the same way, that we opened London's very first Biscuit Boutique and Icing Café in Notting Hill in 2010.

We are thrilled to be opening our 2nd boutique on the Northcote Road. It will be part icing school, part boutique and part café, so you can drop in, grab a coffee and ice some biscuits if you fancy - a bit like a pottery café!

We love the Northcote Road (being residents of the area ourselves!) and cannot wait to join the community of shops, cafes and restaurants. We open at the end of November so do pop in and say hi. We cant wait to meet you.

The Biscuiteers x